Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Barack Obama vs. Hillary Clinton

I would never state that I am very politically-minded, indeed I essentially vote strictly along party lines, that is, democratic party lines. However, in the spirit of miscellany, I will post political news from time to time. CNN has reported that a recent gallup poll has shown that Senator Clinton's lead over Barack Obama and John Edwards has increased by 8 points over both. This puts her at 22 points above Obama and 36 points above Edwards. I think it goes without saying that this was going to be far different than any presidential race in the past. For the first time in history, there is a legitimate shot for either a woman or a black man to attain the coveted seat of President of the United States of America!!

To be perfectly honest, I would be happy in many regards for either to gain this appointment. I wonder, however, how much of the general public is ready for either a woman or a black man to be president. I hope to God that I am wrong, but I wonder how many people might vote for the Republican candidate simply out of a desire to keep a white male in power in this country. My only concern is that someone who I can trust to lead this country in these post 9-11 days be sworn in as President, and I believe that either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton has the ability and the drive. Barack Obama even seems to have the charisma that was so everpresent with Bill Clinton and is so dismally lacking in George W. Bush, but Hillary Clinton has all of the political ties that having Bill Clinton as the First Husband (!) would afford her. It really is a toss-up.

I'm not even going to pretend that I know much, if anything, about the Republican candidates because, as I have stated previously, I will vote straight up and down party lines. Perhaps not the most efficacious manner of achieving something, but there you have it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean, I will keep checking this particular blog to see your father's reaction to this post. I have to say that part of me wishes I still could look at politics from one side (democratic). I believe that my post-school ("real world")years have proven to completely level the playing field. I can't really tell you which side I'd vote for!

When all is said and done, the real candidate that would win my favor would never make it in this modern world of politics. They'd be completely swallowed up by the sharks for standing on principle. I will probably choose the best from the worst, and take comfort in the balance of power that makes our government so very bureaucratic and sluggish at times.

-Tammy