Monday, August 6, 2007

Monsoon horrors

The following information comes from cnn.com:

I would like to dedicate this post to all those who have lost their lives in the recent monsoon activity in southern Asia, specifically in India and Bangledesh! A moment of silence for all.

It has been reported that the death toll has reached 347 in both of these soaked countries. The mere fact that this number seems small in light of other recent tragedies around the globe is astounding to me!! Indeed, I am almost glad that so few have died over all in this particular tragedy. How could I have this feeling? What is it about societies all over the world that has made pain and suffering so commonplace that we scarcely dwell on what has happened, but seem to take many things in stride? I only wish I had any answers at all, but this is a question that has so many philosophical implications about the nature of humanity now and in the past that I am pessimistic that we may ever agree on any one interpretation.

There is more than deaths occurring in this far-flung portion of the globe. The article goes on to say that in addition to the deaths, millions of people have been driven from their homes and forced to live a life not far removed from a refugee camp. Of course, they really aren't far removed from what a refugee is traditionally considered to be. Perhaps the worse thing about the article, and something I had no knowledge of though it makes sense, is that this monsoon season and its subsequent tragedies occurs every year. EVERY YEAR!!!! Duh!, you might say, of course it happens every year as it is a natural phenomena and these countries need the rain. The horrible part is that people die and are displaced every single year because of this supposedly life-giving natural phenomena and most people don't even realize that this is happening.

I have always been, and I am ashamed to say this really, someone who rarely takes the time to read about what horrors are happening in the world. Indeed, I often use the excuses that I am too pessimistic about what is happening in the world or that as an Archaeologist I am too wrapped up in the past to pay attention to what is occurring all around me. As Jess, my fiancee, has remarked on more than one occasion to me, we all need to be aware of everything that is going on around us. In an attempt to do this myself, I will be using this blog as a forum for news articles that are occurring but aren't being covered in any great detail by the popular media. I will inevitably have my own viewpoint on these worldly happenings but, as always, I welcome and encourage others' opinions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other hard-to-swallow fact of this story is that the people affected by this are already struggling to make it day to day... Similar to Hurricane Katrina hitting the struggling areas of New Orleans.

Even though we feel that there isn't much we can do as one single human... being aware, and spreading awareness to others is the simplest way to make a difference. For every person that reads and shares this story, we're getting one step closer.

Thank you, Sean.

-Jess

Anonymous said...

Take it from someone schooled in the noble calling of Social Work...it is perfectly natural to not be completely phased by these numbers. As human beings, our survival instinct is the strongest. To become emotionally wrapped up in every single tragedy (as if it was happening to you) would leave you as nothing but a sobbing mess. If everyone reacted that way, our very existence would not and could not continue.

Instead see all of these things (good and bad) happening in the world for what they are...occasions to be thankful for all of the blessings that we already have. We cannot always find a way to help victims in far away lands, but something from just last year rings out in my mind:

When a devastating flood hit Northeast Ohio, I told you about one of my coworkers who had about 9 feet of water in her home, and was rescued by a boat in the middle of the night. She was already struggling to make ends meet, and was now scraping by to eat. You reached into your wallet and pulled out all you had (one dollar). You didn't even blink, and for that, you are my hero.

It truly is the small things that count in this world!

-Tammy